Saturday, January 30, 2010

This Should be It

I'd only intended to finish 'The Conversation' and tidy up the ballon and the lakes on these previously 'finished' pieces, and then start playing with ideas for the Alice Prize Exhibition work (due Mid March), but things don't tend to go according to plan . . .

I kept eyeing the boards in the corner yesterday when doing the final touches to the portraits, and then today, instead of doing all the administrative things I need to get done by tomorrow for the exhibition, I had an urge to do 'just a couple more'.  I'd been extolling the wonders of painting on small boards to a friend who has a show in a few months as a great way of going fast and furious and reminded myself of how liberating they are. 

Now I just need to find a way of varnishing them that doesn't seem to take for ever to dry.  (I've even taken off a couple of layers of Damar Varnish on a couple of the stickier boards that simply didnt seem to be hardening up . . . which puts me in mind of the Bowie song with the line about a 'crib on which the paint wont dry'.)  Ok. Here they are and now it's back to putting together the price list and writing the artists' statement (you'd think as an English teacher this would be easy . . .)

No comments: