Thursday, January 14, 2010

Some Melbourne pics


Never did get around to sketching in Fed Square, but did spend some time at the beach at St Kilda.  I particularly enjoyed playing with two very different ways of putting on paint in these two.  The two ladies are very impasto-ish, big globs of white in the morning sunlight against the darks.  The beach scene is thinned almost to watercolour consistency and then wiped off to get the whites.  It was really hot and I wanted the narrow tonal range to get that sense of the afternoon heat.

This next one is from Hermansberg (about an hour west of Alice), one I've been meaning to paint for a while.  The solar array catching the last of the evening's light.  Not too sure about the sunset in this one.  Wonder if it's just a bit too brash.  But then I always am a bit iffy when it comes to sunsets.  Clouds, yes, orange light and clouds . . . um.


1 comment:

Ploughman said...

Agree about the sunset - I think you could dispense with the yellow.