Monday, April 3, 2017

sharpening ARGH and some newies

 Spent most of my studio time today trying, spectacularly unsuccessfully, trying to sharpen my favourite v gouge.  Yes it's the smallest, yes I should have tried something larger as I'm still learning, but . . . so Japanese stone and diamond slabs later I resorted to the jig to get at least a straight chisel edge.  Hey at least I know the stones do grind out the metal . . . note the difference I 'honed' (hollow laughter) and shortened my dream chisel.  It's at least relatively even and sort of sharp now, but, really, 3 hours, for a tiny little chisel   . . . . learning humility land is where I'm currently located.
 So, not as much of anything as completed as I'd have liked.  But loving trying different wood surfaces as well as the lino for carving . . . and definitely in the small scale at present . . .








No comments: