Sunday, April 24, 2011

fast and furious

After yesterday's experiment with a triple portrait on one canvas, and a bit of a look at other triple portraits, I decided to go again but on three panels.  Also I decided to flip one of the 3/4 profiles to create some balance:  the idea of asymmetry worked better than the composition of it.  Though I did stick with the off-centre full face placement and may move the left hand Peter right a bit so his hair goes over the end of the frame so the placement isn't too much a mirror image of right hand Peter and creates some nice white spaces across the pairs of pictures.  




I probably spent more time sizing the pictures, then taking finished and current canvasses off stretchers (I never seem to have the size I want in hand sigh hard life) and stretching new linen than painting today.  I wanted to have them all together on the easel, so I can check them against each other as I go (for balance of colour, size, mood etc) so found propping a stretcher bar across gave me some stability as long as I didn't get too vigorous with the brushwork.  I also want to keep them all at the same stage in terms of blocking in colour, hence the darkness in which I finished (thank you daylight lamp).

No comments: