Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lots Finished . . . included an already finished one . . .


So this was my weekend: two days of 7-8 hours straight painting with the sound of a ticking clock (timebomb?) in the back of my mind . . . yet strangely enough I've enjoyed it muchly (perhaps because I a) finished what I needed to finish and b) am happy with the results.

This (at left) is a first on two counts: my first painting from the camel farm I've just started visiting. It's called Pindar camel farm, so the pic's called Pindar pair (I think the camel on the left is Betty, a camel I've done some sketches of, but I don't know the other one. The second 'first' is that it's my biggest camel pic so far (at a respectible 91x121cms), which I failed to take into account in judging how long it would take me to finish . . .

The girl at left (a life model whom I've painted before) took a while to finalise but for different reasons. She's only 66x77cms, but I was playing around with letting glazes do their own thing (which tended to be drip) and not getting to detailed or 'finished'. So there was lots of 'put a blob on, put some more medium on to make it drippy, stand back and look, watch it do silly things, wipe it off . . . '



The lad below is from a, by now, quite old series of photos I took out at a community primary school. The surface of the canvas is quite lumpy (textured I think is the technical term) as I initially played around with big bold brushstrokes . . . which didn't really work. But the lumpiness stopped me from getting too precious with the details.






















And this, of course, is the finished one that was subjected to being finished again . . . It was the eye I was not happy with, so two days before I wrapped it up I did a bit more on the eye, on the inside corner of one of the spectacle frames and the nose. Greyhound have it now (for shipping to Darwin for Wednesday's deadline at Parliament House) which is just as well I think, as I'd still be fiddling around.

No comments: